Why are we either the "Good Girl", or the "Party Animal", and why can't we be both?!

10:03

My whole life, I’ve been the “good girl”. Go ahead, insert various synonyms here: *yawn yawn yawn*, nerd, geek, goody two shoes, pleb, boring, teacher’s pet, quiet, distant, arrogant, workaholic, perfect(ionist)…As you can probably see these range from the relatively accurate (yes, I do have workaholic tendencies), to the faintly humorous (mental health professionals will later replace your image of me as “perfect” with the term perfectionistic – the latter a million times more accurate), to the actually quite insulting! Some may say I never really learnt the meaning of “living dangerously”, for the mere thought of getting caught terrified me and house parties weren’t exactly my scene (not because I was too prim and proper to attend, but actually because I never got invited). Whilst I may not have broken the law, or raided my parents’ alcohol cupboard, my “living dangerously” just took a different form: my “living dangerously” was with percentages and UMS points, and the punishing rituals that followed any so-called “failure”. Despite that, and for what it’s worth, I don’t regret being “the good girl”. It’s a role I’ve played my whole life, a script I’ve learnt by heart, and actually, that’s okay. But here’s the thing that does get to me: I might be “a good girl”, but why does that automatically negate the slightest possibility that I could like to have a good time just as much as the next person?! Let me tell you something my experience of a Russell Group uni taught me: crushed ice melts the same whether it’s in double vodka or a Costa caffeine hit – secondary school students are yet to grasp that one!

“But is it really worth the risk?!”

Okay, okay, to be a “party animal” one must take risks…for an undoubtably tame taster, think ‘90s chic flick style sneaking out the bedroom window and shimmying down the drain pipe, taking a different outfit to change into as soon as you’ve escaped father’s disapproving glare, pocket mints galore, and the old-faithful, “yes, of course I’m staying at Alice’s”, oh and the general assumption that your parents were both born yesterday and never young... 

Admittedly, my risk-taking risk levels leave a lot to be desired; the word “risk” has indeed had me running for the hills in my bubble wrap: “hello, I’m Yasmin and I didn’t learn to ride a bike until I was 8, because I refused point blank to get on one out of fear of falling off…at 8 my parents put their foot down and mine up”. That said, surely every group of raging risk takers, you know, those living life “on the edge”, could do with a “slightly” cautious risk advisor…the one who weighs up the potential distance of the fall?! Collaboration is indeed key, and I’m beginning to see “good girl” and “party animal” as the new duo.

The fine line of pulling “it” off


Girl loves her coffee shop studying...
..but also likes large wine glasses..."it's all good because it's sugar free"

Now, actually only in writing this did it occur to me that maybe, just maybe, the “party animal” figure and the “good girl” stereotype aren’t actually that far apart. For one, both acts take practice. For two, both acts are perfected over time. Take your Lower Sixth party girl, who swears she only lives for the weekends, and who has all the older friends, already free from school life, the ones who know the bouncers and hold the fake IDs (the fake ID said girl flashes oh so well come Saturday night), she treads the fine line of pulling that "pretending to be a whole other person" off pretty damn well. Now take the “nerd”, the girl who actually spends her free periods, god forbid, studying, the girl who wears her tie above the V and her skirt below the knee, the girl who is both top of the class, on the athletics team, and in the choir; this is a balancing act, it’s tiring and, at times, far from glamorous. Now, look at the two and tell me that there isn’t a similar level of determination, perseverance, focus and sheer belief in the ultimate outcome?!

Misunderstood? Mean Girl worthy Mumbling?

And whilst we’ve got our two stock figures lined up before us, so polorised and yet strikingly not so dissimilar as their rapidly applied labels suggest, let’s just consider that maybe life isn’t quite that black and white!

Partying at Big Weekend...
From the "party girl" who was once admired for being “so grown up”, but whose fall from grace labels her a “slut”, to the "good girl" who was always soooo polite and the girl your parents looooved, but who, when push came to shove, was the easiest to knock down, labels hurt and 99% of the time, labels are wrong. I’d really like to think I’m not as boring as my “good girl” title deemed me (even if my risk taking is more calculated), and actually, I’m not distant (maybe tired, and rather stressed, and kind of nervous that you’ll punish me for wanting to succeed academically), and really, truly, I’m not arrogant (shy/conscientious is a different concept altogether and, well, my silence wasn’t arrogance, it was fear that you’d mock me, or disregard me as the workaholic loser, or tell me I had it all, or mimic my voice, or copy my tests like last time, or basically only be speaking to me because you wanted something). Here’s the thing: I work hard, that doesn’t mean I can’t play hard too. Oh, and for the record, I actually didn’t spend all my free periods studying with my halo shining bright – I spent at least one a week sneaking into town for coffee (trust me, I had this risk taking to a T – timings are my forte) and more than my fair share of frees in counseling of some sort, because, as I said, looks can be, and usually are, deceiving. And as for the girl you dismiss as a “slut”, quite frankly, that’s none of your business, and is a one-syllable word with a heck of a lot of implications; maybe the one whose Facebook promotes a whole array of “I like to let my hair down” photos has a life that is more complicated than her selected snaps portray. And I don’t mean to rock the boat, but maybe her work-ethic can’t be seen in her outfit choice.



...and reading Good Girl in the park the next day

Secondary school can be a cruel, insult-fueled playing field. Words do hurt. Binaries are rubbish. And why should we choose/why is it dictated to us whether we want to be/get to be a “good girl” or a “party animal”, why can’t we be both, or neither, for that matter?!


Ah yes, and, just saying, this is a level of "risk-taking" few will ever truly reach. Planned to a T.






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Wanderings

https://twitter.com/YJBraddell https://uk.pinterest.com/yasminbraddell/